Applying for Housing

Finding a Home

We house people from the Local Housing Register in our rented homes. You will need to contact your Local Council to sign up to your local register.

The Society has a mixture of different types of properties located in 11 local authority areas in the South West Region. Click on your Local Authority logo to sign up to the Housing Register in your area. You can then follow the instructions and will be able to bid on available Housing Association and Council Houses.

If you are a Society tenant already and wish to exchange your property with another tenant in the social housing sector then please follow the link on the right for more information.

Find out more about getting a Housing Society home here.

Exchanging your home

For many residents the best way to find a new place to live is to exchange your home with another council or housing association tenant.

If you rent a home from South Western Housing Society you can exchange homes with another resident. This could be another South Western Housing Society tenant or a tenant of another housing association or council. This is called a mutual exchange.

How to find a mutual exchange

You can register for free on the HomeSwapper website if you are an existing tenant of South Western Housing Society. The HomeSwapper website allows you to look at homes in your area or anywhere in the UK.

Advertise your home in local papers such as TradeIt.

Put an advert in your local shop window

What happens when you find someone to exchange with?

You need to complete a mutual exchange form. Download one from here and send it in to the office.

When we receive your form we will:

  • Contact the other landlord and ask for a reference on the new tenant.
  • Arrange an inspection of your property to check if there is any work required. If work is necessary we will advise who is responsible for this.
  • We will also arrange for a gas and electric check to be completed at the time of the exchange.
  • You should not go ahead with any removal arrangements until you have confirmation that the exchange has been agreed.

Reasons why you might not get permission to exchange

In some cases we will not give permission for you to swap your home.

Reasons for refusal would include:

  • Antisocial behaviour
  • Current rent arrears.
  • If the accommodation was considered unsuitable because of its size or the type of the home.
  • You are on a Starter tenancy.

Tenancy rights when you exchange

Please note that if you exchange you will inherit the tenancy of the resident you exchange with. This means that if you had a Secure Tenancy and you exchange with an Assured Tenant, your tenancy rights will change. Please contact the office if you need more information.